Sunday, February 12, 2006

I say, F you, treadmill...I do it MYSELF

BTW--I'm quoting the great Pedro Cerrano from Major League. He's talking about Jobu, but I'm talking about the treadmill.

I totally ran outside today.

I just couldn't pass up the sunny, blue-skied 30 degree day. It was AWESOME.

(Canada Jenn my respiratory therapist friend gave me the green light)

She said I've been off the antibiotics for over a week so I should be good to go.

I felt like a RUNNER again.

The first 4 miles were REALLY REALLY slow. I think I was still kind of afraid. I never ever get sick, so the fact that I got so sick kind of freaked me out. I was a bit apprehensive to do too much, too soon. But the thought of 90 minutes on a hamster wheel made me want to hurl.

So I ran really really slow and then negative split it as I got my confidence back. Still pretty darn slow as I usually run this route in 1:16-1:18, but I'll take it for now. It was an 8.2 mile loop and it was great. A fresh layer of snow even fell this morning just to make everything nice and white and clean.

So I've been hydrating all day and now I'm about to hit the hay....so far so good! Tomorrow's a rest day so now I feel like I earned it. :)

12 comments:

qcmier said...

"See, it says right there; no calisthentics. What do you think of that? psssssss...."

Feels good to run again, right? Glad you're back out there.

Cliff said...

Glad you got the green light :).

Good run. I love running on fresh snow..as long as they ain't ice underneath them.

Anonymous said...

awesome! glad you had a good run. my training week was oh-so-pathetic. sigh...

Cycling Under The Influence said...

I feel the same way- to me the treadmill is the equivalent of solitary confinement. Glad to hear you got outside.

KBGee said...

Don't worry about your speed; you still have lots of time to work on it. By the way,I enjoyed your blog before, but now that you are quoting Major League I'm an even bigger fan.

Kurt said...

Great run and glad you enjoyed it. Glad your mending and feeling better.

Eric said...

way to go. come IM time the cows of Wisconsin will watch you go by and say, "Who are these guys?"

Pool tomorrow morning?

Janet Edwards said...

Way to go, lady! Saturday was a gorgeous day (for Northeast ohio anyway) to get outside and take in some fresh air.

Tracy said...

YAY!!! She's risen from the dead! OK, the near-dead. Way to get out there woman. And WTH with the blue skies?? We had big fat marshmallow snow! Which was kinda cool, OK, OK.

E-Speed said...

LOL, that is my hsubands fave movie, we just watched it the other night.

Glad someone got outside and ran if it wasn't going to be me :)

Chris said...

You totally can't pass up those sunny winter days! I don't know how Ohio is, but there seem to be weeks here in Minnesota where you don't see the sun. Running, while cold, when the sun is shining makes it totally worth it.

It's good to have you "back". :)

Rae said...

Welcome back to the asphalt!