Tuesday, January 24, 2006

home sweet home

I'm baaa-aack!

Glad to be home. Had an awesome time this weekend!!!!! So much fun. I will post pics later.

I somehow came home with an AWFUL cough though....not sure why but I think it might be allergy related, or perhaps from the dry air, too. Ugh. Missed my swim today and I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. After all, everything I read says that it's OK to work out if the cold is above your neck, but not a good idea if it's BELOW the neck. Since my chest sounds ROTTEN, I figured that I'd better take it easy.

Which, I probably should have done before I ran 2 hours yesterday in very high elevation.

Although, I must say, I was quite proud of myself! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I definitely had to slow way down, especially at the beginning, and up hills...but other than that it was OK! It was definitely hard to keep my heart rate down. I felt like I only covered about 2.3 miles in 2 hours. (Probably in reality somewhere around 11-11.5?) That may also have something to do with the reason why my chest sounds like a cave and my voice is lost. :( Oh well--it was worth it.

So now, I'm trying to HYDRATE like crazy, take Mucinex, and I KNOW THAT I NEED TO SLEEP MORE. No excuses. I told Matt again that I REALLY need to be in bed NO LATER than 10. And so does Mugsy. (Since he barks like crazy when he goes to bed) It's hard and I don't want to upset his schedule (he likes to grade papers late at the kitchen while watching ESPN with Mugsy) but he's totally understanding and now will do grading in the basement while Mugsy is in bed. I think that's also part of the reason I've been sick now twice. I wish I could be one of those peeps who only needs 4-5 hours of sleep.....sigh.....alas, I am MINIMUM 7 or I am toast!!

Thanks for all the well-wishes on my journey! It was so fun. We went snowshoeing in the mountains which was AWESOME! We stopped in Boulder--fun little town--and lots of interesting people watching. For example, there are these really expensive, nice, upscale shops...and then these older hippie folk who try to read your palm and smoke pot right there on the street. Huh?

Ran into a friend from high school on the street in Boulder! How wierd is THAT?

Also, one of Mindy's best Denver buddies is marrying a guy I used to flip burgers with at a country club snack bar near here. We had fun meeting again at a bar. Huh?

I'm convinced no one who lives in Denver (except for TriShannon's boyfriend) is actually FROM Denver. It's lots of transplanted Midwesterners and East Coasters. I do like it there and they definitely have the sunshine I crave, but I think I might miss water. The mountains are gorgeous though!

Ugh......... soooooooooo tired, this time change really screwed me up! It was worth it though--had so much fun with Mindy and TriShannon! Now I need to sleep sleep sleep and drink drink drink to get back into the training. I HATE MISSING WORKOUTS.

HATE IT.

Know I need to though.

I know, I know....most of you have already told me that it's better to miss a few now then to pay for it later....

BUT I HATE MISSI--

Stop!!!! No panicking. It's January and I will be fine if I have to take it easy this week.

Right?

But......

AGH!!!

Need to get ready, the bell is about to ring! Pics to come soon!

8 comments:

Eric said...

You are so far out you can definitely miss a workout. Keep the body healthy.

You did miss an empty pool though this morning. I'll be posting my morning swim later.

Anonymous said...

so glad you had a good time! yeah, for sure don't worry about the workout...the fact that you ARE worried though, means that you're going to be just fine come ironday...

tryathlete said...

Welcome back. Glad you had a good time.

Cliff said...

I need at least 8. The hardest of trainign is sleeping early. Going to bed at 11 is already a struggle.

Chris said...

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about Bolder or Denver. I should really consider moving there sometime in the near future.

But I digress. I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip! I can't wait to see the pics! :)

walchka said...

Glad you hear that you had such a good time on your trip. Rest up and let the bod heal. The training will be there when you are ready.

Rae said...

Great pics! It looks like you guys had a ton of fun. Hope you feel better soon!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Don't sweat the small stuff. You're right. It's only January.
Thanks for sharing your photos! It looks SOOOOO pretty! I have never been to Denver, although my husband has a bunch of times. You're right - it does seem to be a bunch a transplanted Midwesterners, as he has a ton of college (BGSU) friends living there now!