Well....I made it.
Not my best outing. Here's why:
1. HR monitor and bike computer are BOTH not working. So I really had to hold to RPE, which on a day that's 91 with a heat index in the high 90s, is not so good. Nothing like that heat index that SLS or Chris had to deal with though....SHEESH!
2. Took my bike into the bike shop for a tuneup this week so my bike would be in top working order for my first century. Yeah, that didn't work so well.
3. My CHAIN LOCKED UP--I mean, pedal goes NOWHERE locked up--SEVEN TIMES. SEVEN.
5. SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell hard for the first one, and TriAl at least could help me out a bit as my bike seat was all crooked...but for the other SIX FREAKING TIMES I was on my own.
6. And it only happened on the UPHILLS.
7. So I had to stop in the middle of a hill, get off, and fix it. That's great for the momentum.
8. 7X7 = the approximate amount of minutes that I had NO FLUIDS WHATSOEVER, as our lunch stop was at mile 62, and the NEXT STOP WAS AT 92.7!!!!!!!!!! WTF???? Whose idea was THAT???????? So many people were calling the SAG wagon since they had no fluids--I heard that there were 10 treated for heat exhaustion. Ugh. For the record, it's not a good idea to run out of all fluids when it's 91 and sunny and you're at mile seventy-something.
9. $7.77 = the amount I spent on Subway on my way home for 2 water bottles, a 6 inch sub, and harvest cheddar sun chips.
BUT--I did it, I made it through, and I had a great 30 minute run afterwards. An overall victory, considering I really did keep my cool and my head despite all the rotten things that were going on out on that course today for me. Must focus on the positive!
So lots of frustration about today, and some disappointment about things today that were not even related to my riding, so I will not rehash them--I'm done with that--since I had a great talk with Marie and Wil who helped me put it all in perspective.
Money in the bank, amigos. Money in the bank. The past three days:
4000 yard swim
14 mile run
100 mile ride (it was a little short so I rode a few more at the end) followed by a little under 3 mile run
And now, as Austin Powers would say, I'm spent.
Time to meet my buddies (Weasels softball team) for some pizza! I think I've definitely earned it.