Monday, September 18, 2006

Running Down a Dream, Part 2

So that's about it.

And here I am, now with some title of Ironman, but pretty much the same person when it comes down to it. It's been a long and sometimes crazy journey, but I crossed that finish line and for that I am just still really thankful.

A little more than a week has passed, and many people have been asking me two questions that I've also been asking myself:

1. So, are you going to do another one?

Absolutely. No question about it. It's just a matter of when. Right now I'm thinking Florida, 2008...

2. Now what?

I don't know. I do, but I don't...and that's pretty exciting. Finish lines are really just starting lines for new things, I think.

So what will I do now?

I will sleep in until 8:47am and make gingerbread waffles on a Saturday, and eat them with my husband while I sip on my Traverse City Cherry coffee and read Outside Magazine.

I will do some indoor rock climbing--I've been meaning to give that a try again.

I'll get back into yoga, for relaxation and for stretching.

I will swim. For fun. I will maybe give the Master's team a shot, just to give Competitive Sara something to do, since she might get bored otherwise.

I will read your blogs and be inspired by all of you.

I will spend time with my family and friends.

I will try to get a little better at snowboarding--I've only done it once, and ended up on my butt pretty much the whole day. I don't like to let things "win" like that, so boarding, here I come....

I will do some mountain biking with Matt and enjoy the fall colors, and ride with my friends preparing for IM FL, too. Not the full length rides that they are doing, but I'll join them for a few hours and try to support them as they hit their high volume weeks. I know how hard these weeks can be.

I will run with my running friends again and enjoy the company of group runs.

I will travel to Chicago to support my friend in her first marathon!

I will head to Hawaii in December with Matt and enjoy some time in a paradise that neither of us has been to yet.

And next year, I'll do triathlons, of course, because it's as much a part of me as breathing and blinking are. Probably shorter stuff--maybe try to get my Half Ironman time down? Who knows....the possibilities are endless.

For now, I'm enjoying the little things...all the little things that I had to put on hold this past year...and it is wonderful.

So I've definitely changed, but at the same time, I'm still the same old Sara. But I know now that really, truly, "Anything is possible."

And I can't seem to stop dreaming of all the possibilities.

15 comments:

Matt McSkimin said...

Sara- I enjoyed reading about your Ironman adventure. You are a great writer. You and Matt are invited ANYTIME to perfect your snowboarding out here in the the Rockies. We would love to see you in Colorado this winter. Take care!
Matt
Best snowboarding tip ever (in my opinion)- always keep pressure on the uphill edge of the board.

Jodi said...

You have the greatest outlook on life of anyone I've ever met. And I'm not exaggerating. I am so fortunate to have a friend like you and to have been able to follow your journey. Now go have fun!

:)

Jodi

21st Century Mom said...

Mice! I slept in today after getting up pre crack 'o dawn yesterday for a Tri and it felt so indulgent. I can only imagine what it must feel like not to be training for an IM.

Loved your story - thanks for sharing!

21st Century Mom said...

oops - I meant NICE! not mice.

Pharmie said...

Sara, thanks for taking us along for the ride. I hope that you continue to keep us posted on all of your adventures, because I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to your blog:)

Wes said...

Enjoy your down time! You've earned it many times over. Did you say Florida, 2008? Ooohh! I may just be there myself :-)

Cliff said...

What a great way to finish the season..

as for snowboarding..it took me one season to figure out not ot fall down on my butt (well not too often)....jsut liek swimming..keep at it..soon u will move beyond falling leaf...

a.maria said...

enjoy your time off, youve more than deserved it. i can't imagine what looking at life from the other side of that ironman finish line must be like.

congrats again girl, you're amazing!

Unknown said...

Excellent way to sort of "finish-up" the story of this amazing accomplishment.

Have fun boarding, biking, running and relaxing. You've certainly earned it.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congratulations again, Sara. You have been such an inspiration to me.

IMFL '08? Awesome! If things continue to go well for me over the next year or so, that is what I was considering as a long term possibility!! I've got to get a couple half IMs under my belt next year, though.

Enjoy yourself and all the extra time you'll have with Matt.

Papa Louie said...

Yes, you are the same person but you have experienced something that has caused you to grow in the human life. Congratulations!

qcmier said...

And let's not forget a few pints!!!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Yes Yes!! Join masters swimming - we would have a blast!!!

Rae said...

That sounds like a GREAT plan!! Enjoy sleeping in and esp those waffles!!

Iron Pol said...

"And here I am, now with some title of Ironman, but pretty much the same person when it comes down to it."

While still a while off for me, I would have to say that attaining the title Ironman is probably something having a birthday. The age old question is, "Do you feel older?"

It's quite unlikely that Ironman Sara is the same person that Hasn't-Signed-Up-For-Ironman Sara was. Just as it takes a year to "get older," the change to Ironman was gradual. And significant.

Congratulations on the journey, the finish, and the awesome new bike picture. That is a wonderful shot.