Wednesday, February 03, 2010

And then there were TWO.

As in, WEEKS.

Work has been KEEEEELING me lately. This baby has dropped fo' sho', so I spend my time waddling like there's a watermelon lodged squarely in my pelvis and trying not to pee my pants. It's pretty much awesome.

I did have a few good laughs today, mostly because I was teaching about Teddy Roosevelt's "Big Stick Diplomacy." Because you know what? That phrase might have worked in the early 1900s, but it really doesn't translate well into 2010. Especially if you're 16.

Uh, huh huh. Huh huh huh. She said, CARRY A BIG STICK. Huh huh.

Then, when teaching about the annexation of Hawaii, I put a picture of Queen Liliuokalani on the board and asked the kids if they could tell me who it was.

"Queen....oh, wait!....Queen somebody."

"Queen Lalalalala?"

Come ON guys, I responded. You're getting close. Queen L....?

"Queen Latifah!"

So that made me laugh.

I'm excited to find out if this bean is a girl or a boy. I'm excited just to not be huge and round, and to drink beer again, too. But finding out if it's a girl or a boy is what is really keeping me motivated. I know some think I'm crazy for NOT finding out, but for me it just seems to make these last 2-3 weeks of sheer uncomfortable hugeness much easier to deal with.

I do have to admit, though, that I am a little nervous if it's a girl. I am so in "boy mode," and just having a blast playing with cars and remote control dinosaurs and trains and getting dirty and stuff. I don't speak pink. I never have. I don't even really speak doll that well. What on earth am I going to do if it's a girly girl?

I am sooooooooooo not a girly girl.

I will say one thing: there will not be an overload of pink. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. A little pink is fine, but not every single thing. I might hurl.

It's not as much that I'm scared to have a baby girl, as I am scared to have a girl from age 14-16. Because I see that every day. Most of the time it's fine. But sometimes girls can be so mean and nasty. Like in seventh grade, too. Ugh. That's not a good year, either. Mean mean MEAN and nasty passive-aggressive UGH. And I feel like it's all gotten way worse than when I went through it back in the dark ages before the intarwebs and facebook and all this other stuff. Some of the stuff I hear that goes on is just so mean. Good thing that wasn't around when I was all awkward with bad 80s bangs and a horrible fashion sense.

(Although, seeing as I'm carrying most likely close to 60 extra pounds right now I am quite awkward. And am lacking in the fashion sense department, as I'm down to about 3 pairs of pants that "fit" me now. And "fit" is in quotation marks for a reason.)

So if this is a girl, I will have some learning to do. First lesson: how to survive aisle after aisle of pink stuff and toys that are all about dolls and clothes and stuff.

Or not. Right? Because girls can play with cars, too. And dinosaurs are totally unisex.

I picked up Bug at the sitter's yesterday, and she said, "Shhhhh...." and pointed to the corner. Bug was carefully "feeding" a baby doll that he had put in a toy high chair. "Baby want milk? Baby want egg?"

So my boy can be a caring little Bug that plays with dolls. And if I have a girl, she can play with trucks and dinos, too. This is 2010. There are no rules anymore, right?

So perhaps I need to not worry as much about what happened to ME or what I was doing at age 12, 14, or 16. Because chances are the technologies that this potential girl will have aren't even a blip on the sci-fi radar yet.

If I raise them to care about others, then it doesn't matter what color they like to wear or what toys they play with. Or, later on, what music they listen to and what color their hair is.

I just hope I can at least learn to tolerate some pink.

;)

11 comments:

Nat said...

I read your blog on occasion and couldn't resist commenting on this one! I grew up the only girl, with two older brothers and spent most of my youth playing trucks with my brothers. Of course, I was a tomboy and I did have a few dolls but I wouldn't change a thing and your baby will do great no matter what! :) Oh and, I never had pink as a little girl but I love it now...so maybe give her pink now if you want her to hate it later - ha!

Clare said...

i teach high school too, and honestly i'd rather have a 14 year old girl than a 14 year old boy! drama aside, at least they shower. and, my daughter has dinosaur and monster pj's...though we do have a lot of pink too.

RobbyB said...

In my most recent experience, pink is inevitable if there's a girl involved. We've spent lots of time searching for non-pink (purple mostly) outfits. Also, it was a good thing we didn't find out what we were having, so that we received green and yellow outfits, too.

But whatever it is, I'm confident you'll be a great Mom.

Jen said...

Oueen Latifa. ROFL!

I was not girly girl either and I totally have a pink obsessed 1st grader... don't worry - it will grow on you. Love sorta opens your mind too

Simply Married said...

With a mom like you, your kids are going to be just fine! One thing though.... If you do have a girl you're going to have to get used to pink... not because she'll automatically like it... Just that you'll get be gifted (inundated) with all types of pink baby clothing... It'll grow on you... promise... Can't wait for you to have him/her :)

Tricia said...

I started reading your blog a little while ago, and just wanted to say good luck! I'm about 2 weeks behind you - I'm feeling your pain on waddling around after the baby drops :)
I didn't think I could handle a girly-girl either, and I ended up with one. Granted she's only 2, but she LOVES princesses, pink, and Tinkerbell, even though she has plenty of dinosaurs, trains, and legos too. It's not as bad as it seems; sometimes it's even pretty cute :)

Christi said...

I am so excited for you. I think I am living vicariously through you because I sure don't want to have another child! But that is just because my son is 18 and I will soon be free so to speak! Good luck with the next couple of weeks. Stay safe and healthy!

Carolina John said...

hang in there girl, you're getting close. there's nothing wrong with having girls, i love my 2.

Simon and Molly said...

Sara - you will be great pink, blue whatever. If it puts your mind at ease....Ruthie, my 4 year old ONLY wears boy underwear, only wears spiderman, lightning Mcqueen, Buzz Lightyear, superman t-shirts and rides a power ranger bike. Catches frogs with her bare hands and the dirtier she can get the better.

jbmmommy said...

Wishing you all the best. And from a complete non-girly girl mom, I have to say that having a girl after my two boys has been fun. They're a whole new world and I'm nervous about the teenage years, but I've got years to prepare. Good luck.

prashant said...

I love it now...so maybe give her pink now if you want her to hate it later

Work From Home