Thursday, November 12, 2009

First swim in....uh....about 8 weeks

What, you got a problem with that?

Squeezing into my TYR 2 piece tankini kinda reminded me of a scene from the classic drama, Tommy Boy...


Except it's more like Big Girl in a Little Suit. And so far, it hasn't ripped. So that's good. But the top is definitely a little bit low for my liking. Anyone have any leads on some maternity suits--NOT just swimming suits, but more like competition style? I got this one out of the grab bag at SwimOutlet.com and I don't know if it will make it to January!

So I went a mile. In 200 yard increments. I forgot how swimming is hard if you take 2 months off! But the good news is that it felt FABULOUS! Way better than some dumb elliptical. I think I'll shoot for 2-3 times a week at the pool after the 5K, and supplement with some trainer rides and walk/jogs on the dreadmill if it's icy and outside if it's not.

So, that was definitely the slowest mile of my life. But on the bright side, I can jump in the pool 26 weeks pregnant after an 8 week pool hiatus and just whip off a mile. Not bad.

Was trying for 2000 yards but got a late start and still needed to hit the Nature's Bin before I headed up to Parent-Teacher Conferences from 1-8:30 tonight. Then I made some tasty couscous with black beans, scallions, and tomatoes and DEVOURED some. Swimming always makes me HUNGRY!

The weather is still nice around here, so I'm hoping to try for a run tomorrow or Saturday!

11 comments:

Aimee said...

Sorry..no maternity swimsuit recommendations here! I know exactly how you feel about the swimming part though! I did a half-ironman in Sept., took more time off afterwards than I had planned, and ended up going swimming about 6 weeks later. It felt good to be back in the pool, but it was definitely harder than I expected. I couldn't get my breathing down..ugh! I really applaud you for keeping at it through your pregnancy..that's just awesome! :)

Kelli said...

Oh I so know how you feel, I just did my first swim in 2.5 months - and I can't do anything with my left arm today. I was reading something somewhere that talked about maternity competition swimsuits. If I find it I'll send it your way.

Shevaun said...

I stuck with two-piece workout suits for both my pregnancies. Nothing fit over my belly.

marathon mommy said...

I have one from my pregnancy that I am selling on eBay soon. Size small (but plenty of room for a big belly!). Let me know if you are interested.

Jennifer P said...

I so know what you mean. About the not fitting part. Oddly enough my 6 month hiatus it was all good in the pool for me.

I bought my suit (Ripe) during my 1st pregnancy so it's been well abused. It's poly so no getting eaten away by chlorine and it fit well all the way through (and I was 200lbs at the end and still swimming). I got it from a local mat boutique and haven't been able to find anything else like it.

Decaf Jen

Nitsirk said...

I just got a regular Speedo in a bigger size. I normally wear a 34 and a 38 got me through to the week I delivered. It has to be the lycra/nylon kind though because the polyester ones aren't stretchy enough :)

Michelle Simmons said...

I wore a 2 piece until that seemed inappripriate... Then I wore a big one piece over the two piece. I found that the one piece pulls up too high around the leg and too low around the chest, but problem solved with the two piece underneath. And I found that the splish suits run pretty big if you get the thin strap version and they stretch a lot so that works pretty well. I swam all the way through my last pregnancy and plan to do the same this year with the same suit plan. :)

greyhound said...

I'm glad we live in different cities, because it would break my heart less than 3 weeks out before Ironman to get chicked at the pool by the pregnant girl.

JenC said...

I found this through a google search and bought one. I'll let you know if it is any good.
http://swimtowin.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=127

Pharmie said...

Ha ha! laughing at Greyhound's comment because I'd also be getting passed by the preggo chick. Haven't been to the pool in ages myself. Maybe I should soon...

Mnowac said...

Congrats on getting back in the pool. I am scared to, its been so long for me. Maybe I will start slowly and just use the kickboard with the flippers for awhile....sigh. Splurge and get yourself a new suit, you want to be comfortable.