Monday, October 30, 2006

Put up or shut up.

OK.

I did it.

I signed up for a race.

No, not THAT race! So not ready for that next year.

A race I have done before, just down the street where I live. A nice little local 5K. Just 'cause...well..I kinda miss it.

I miss the little teensy butterflies when you fill out a registration form.

I miss watching very closely what I eat a few days before the race...thinking what will make the best fuel and what will help me go faster.

I miss that feeling you get at the start line--like anything could happen, which is a little scary and a little exciting and it takes your breath away, just for a second. And then, you catch it, because you need every breath you can get.

I miss the little bitty voice in my head that says, for those glorious, sweaty, breathless minutes, "Go...go....GOOOOOOOyoucangofasterthanthis!"

So, in a way, I'm not expecting much out of this little race, as far as my performance is concerned. It will just feel so good to be out there, with a number on my shirt and people around me and the pavement beneath my Brooks Adrenalines.

But in a way, I'm really expecting a lot.

I'm expecting to have a little excitement back.

Just a little teensy bit of what I felt almost 2 months ago. If I can JUST. HAVE. A. LITTLE. BIT.

Then it will be so worth it.

18 comments:

Jodi said...

Woo-hooo! How good is it going to feel to get that heart into zone 5?

You better give us a race report!

:)

Jodi

Habeela said...

I think this means you've officially entered the "endorphin junkie" category. ;)

Wes said...

Woo hoo! You are gonna so luv it. A lot of us are going to be doing the "Turkey Trot" this month :-) Watch what we eat before so we can have few extras for that Thanksgiving dinner!

JenC said...

Enjoy! Wish I could run it with you, but I better stick to LSD for now. I will be doing the Turkey Trot downtown. Interested in joining me?

DaisyDuc said...

so is it James dominics....I am doing it. Breakfast or something afterwards sounds great!!!!

Samantha B said...

Have a great race and enjoy the SPEED!!!!!!

TryAthlete said...

Ah... if only you'd bottled a bit of that Ironman excitement at the finish line!

So - when's the race?

Kurt said...

You should break 22 minutes. Go for it and run hard and fast!

Lana said...

You freakin' addict!!!!! hahaha!!

I can't wait to hear about this - I bet you are gonna feel SO SUPER STRONG!!! Go Sara!!!

Cliff said...

Rip that 5 k to shreds...

qcmier said...

Sorry I can't be your rabbit, but I'm sure you'll have a great race.

triteacher said...

You go get 'em; it sounds as though your legs are ready to work some magic for you! I might do a 5-mile race this weekend. We'll see...

teacherwoman said...

Good luck! I love those pre-race feelings!

RunBubbaRun said...

Ohh, I thought you got the e-mail about 100 spots left for IMKY and punched the ticket. But give it all at the 5k race, you are rested and you will do great. Bundle up.

Fe-lady said...

Bet you will PR! Sounds fun! Have a great time!

runnergirl said...

Good luck on your race! Awesome job of describing that prerace excitement. You make me want to go sign up for a race of my own.

Papa Louie said...

Enjoy and have an exciting time with your 5K race!

Rae said...

Yeah!!! And a 5K is always over with very fast!!! I love a short shuffering!