Friday, March 17, 2006

why does blogger hate me today?

Arg!

Having trouble logging on all day! Finally I'm here. SOOOO excited it's Friday. This week has been a long one, as I had to get up REALLY early (okay, it's early for me--for some of you this is standard operating procedure) for the past 4 days. It was worth it though--got all my workouts in and I'm feeling pretty good.

Yesterday's workout had to be done starting at 5am--which means I had to get up at 4:50. FOUR FREAKING FIFTY. Those of you who knew me in college know that I sometimes could, if need be, sleep until 2pm. DaisyDuc and I sometimes had a REALLY hard time making it to the dining hall for "brunch" on Saturdays by ONE-THIRTY.

Who is this TriSaraTops and what has she done with the old Sara?

(that's OK--I kinda like this TriSaraTops character better, anyway)

So on my workout yesterday I did an hour spin at 5am. I realized that the local news at 5am is really my only option, and they have about 3 stories that they run over, and over, and over again. Whew. Glad that was done.

Then, I headed out for a 45 minute run. This was at 6:24am. The sun was pretty much up, and since I had been riding for an hour, I was wide awake. The funny thing is, the rest of the world was NOT awake. It was really odd. No cars. No people. No traffic. Just me, running along. I felt like I was the only one in on a secret or something.

It was, oddly, pretty cool.

When I was running through my city, which, coincidentally, is also my hometown, the City Hall and High School were both on my route. They both had huge messages on their signboard that said:


Welcome Home, Dave Zastudil Class of '97
Cleveland Browns
We Are Proud!

The funny thing is, that I actually know this guy. He was 2 years younger than me, but my best friend dated one of his best friends way back in the day, so I would run into him sometimes around school and stuff. And, he was just the NICEST guy, from what I remember. A lot of high school athletes were really cocky and just plain jerks. Not to mention their parents, sometimes--who could be even worse! The whole my-kid's-gonna-be-a-pro-football/basketball/baseball/curling/insert sport here/champion-someday eventually rubbed off on the kid and made them often mean and nasty.

My brother experienced this a lot more than I did, as, let's be honest, there aren't a whole lot of professional women's fastpitch major leagues out there. It really affected my brother's outlook on sports, too...and that's when he started running. It was so supportive--such a NICE group of kids. See, you can't talk about how that clock isn't right and how the ref must be blind and can't you see that hold? when you are running cross country. It's you, the clock, and the course. No exaggerations. No lies. No bragging needed. Your times spoke for themselves. From my experience, it really just attracted a whole 'nuther kinda student than some of the other teams did. I was always really impressed with that, as a fan of my brother's and a spectator at the races. I think I would have liked that sport in high school, but I thought running more than around the bases was impossible.

I continue to be impressed with that--and with this sport. I truly believe this is the most supportive sport there is--and the most physically and emotionally fulfilling, too.

But I gotta say congrats to Dave--and welcome home. Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy.

Maybe I'll have to get myself a Browns jersey this year....and maybe we can win more than 5 games....! :)

11 comments:

Legs and Wings said...

I'm always amazed to discover where people end up. Seems it is often the people we deem least likely to succeed end up making the big splash in life. And good for them! The mayor in my hometown was an unassuming quiet average guy in high school. Who would have guessed?

I love running early in the morning. You nail it in your post by describing it as a 'secret'.

Have a great weekend.

Hollyfish said...

Nice job with the early workout...I"ve had a few 4:50s lately too and it's really early...

If it makes you feel better, I couldn't get on your blog or Bolder's blog all day yesterday either... I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with your streaming video?

Hey, send me your email, will ya?

Kewl Nitrox said...

Wow... So inspiring to read about your morning workouts. Maybe I gotta try this someday... Nah!

Papa Louie said...

You mean if I train for ironman I'll have to wake up at four freakin fifty? If you can get all that training in at such times then you shouldn't have any problem doing the ironman. Keep up the good work.

Battman said...

I'm with you on the supportive sport description of the tri lifestyle. I like to think of it as "shared pain".

Tammy said...

4-freakin'-50? Are you INSANE?? O...M...G... I hope I am never that commited. LOL.

Don't worry... blogger hates everyone lately. There's a few blogs that won't even load for viewing.

tryathlete said...

Running is the simplest of sports indeed - no excuses, just the clock and you. Although sometimes there's a "must be the shoes", "stitch", "I wasn't hydrated", "what did i eat for breakfast" element to it.

Jennifer P said...

Nice workouts! They will have to put your name up in big flashing lights after Wisconson. Baseball schmaseball...:)
Sometimes I hear about people I went to high school with and it seems that I'm always jeouls of them -- whether it's the girl that's volunteering in Africa or the one that married her high school sweetheart and now has 2 kids.

Rae said...

Great job with the early workouts! I am not a morning person either, but I do love how quiet the neighborhood is every morning when Pippin and I walk. I think more events need to be in the evenings!

Cliff said...

First of all, who bike at 4:45 (ok i did that once)..

second of all, who bike in a trainer.watching news..?? :0

I gotta hand it to u girl. That's hard....i don't have the mental toughness to ride watching the news..again and again and again :)

Janet Edwards said...

You are forever the cheerleader for our hometown sports!

Who is this TriSaraTops character...surely not the one who slept in and still tried to sneak in afternoon naps!