Wednesday, March 29, 2006

today, I ran

Today, I ran.

I ran because I felt better--not great, but better, and I knew I needed it.

I ran because it was 58 degrees and sunny. In Cleveland that means you see convertibles with their tops down, students with shorts and flip flops, and everyone walking their dogs.

Today I ran because I've been outside all year, but for the first time in a long time, I was outside with shorts on.

I ran because I am scared.

I ran because I am still a little angry.

I ran because I knew I could pray at the same time. And sometimes my most focused prayers come when I run.

I ran because it made me feel better. I ran because for seven and a quarter miles, I just heard my heart beating, my iPod, the birds between songs, and my breath.

I ran and with every step on the pavement my chest seemed lighter and I noticed the buds on the trees of new beginnings and the end of a season.

I ran because it made me stronger, and because it reminded me of my strength.

As I ran back home with the sun at my back I ran with a shadow of a girl in front of me--she was tall and strong and you couldn't see her face--she didn't appear scared or worried but confident and powerful, and I wanted to catch her.

I ran because it makes me one step closer to being her.

16 comments:

E-Speed said...

Glad you got out and ran! I know it sures helps me to work through everything that goes on in my little brain!

Papa Louie said...

Very good run! It's amazing what a run can do for you!

Wayne said...

Hmmm....shorts at 52 degrees, thats about 11 in my language, perhaps I'm a bit soft. =(

I also run to clear the mind, actually I run for many reasons other than the fitness benefits. I your run has provided you the comfort mine often do.

walchka said...

Run Sara Run! You'll find her...She is a just a couple steps in front of you at the moment.

Take care...

Tracy said...

OMG SARA!!!!!!!! THAT was freakin' awesome! That's your best post EVER!

tryathlete said...

INSPIRING.

Scott said...

As you believe in prayer, know that you and Matt are in my mine!

BuckeyeRunner said...

What a great post. You are a really good writer. I'll say it again, where would we be without sport?

Hang in there. I am thinking of you, and your hubby, and hoping for all things good.

tri-mama said...

Very amazing imagery. Sorry to hear about the job situation.-my prayers are with you guys for wisdom and grace.

Eric said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I believe you are already that strong woman in front of you. You just need to see her to be reminded about it.

Janet Edwards said...

Running does so much more for us that just keeping us in shape!

With one step at a time you and Matt will work everything out,

Meagan said...

great post! aren't those JFR days so great? I love the feeling of just getting out and running. Mmmmm...running. :)

Kurt said...

Sara, what a great post. I really enjoyed and maybe on of the best posts I have read on various blogs.

Good job!

Rae said...

Sounds like an awesome stress relieving run. I've run twice in shorts this week and I'm addicted to the feeling of air on my legs! Please say it's time to pack up the tights and winter pants!!!

Tammy said...

wow.

I'm so with you.

If my knee didn't hurt, I'd be running right now. Give me a day or two, and I'll run alongside you.

SRR said...

Fabulous, creative, and inspiring!