Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tri Tag Time

I'm hangin' in. Thanks for the kind words.

Looking forward to a great yoga class tonight, dodgeball game tomorrow (if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball), and a fun 10K Trail Run which MIGHT just have to be in 8 degree weather Saturday morning. Well, I said I wanted snow.....

I've been tagged!

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever

By far, my favorite memory of my first triathlon was the training I did with TriShannon. We were both such newbies and we printed out the "Beginner Triathlete" program on trinewbies.com and followed it religiously. It was such a fun summer--We'd swim in the morning, then we'd go to class, come back and do a ride or run...and then often top it off with a tasty DQ Blizzard. Hey, so we weren't that concerned about nutrition yet. ;) Training with a good friend was my favorite part of the first tri, aside from crossing that first finish line.

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon

Ironman Wisconsin. Wow. How do I begin? I'll tell a funny memory. I remember wading into the water with Wil, hearing Fatboy Slim's "Right Here, Right Now," and thinking, "Hey, TriEric said they played this song at IMUSA as he got in the water." Then, I heard Mike Reilly yell over the loudspeaker, "ONE MINUTE! WHO WANTS TO BE AN IRONMAN TODAY?!" And then, for the first time in my life, I got so nervous I peed myself. And about 7 seconds later, the cannon went off, and my day began.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?

A few years back I did the Lorain Sprint Triathlon, got back to T2, put my bike on the rack all fast and slick since I was trying to place in Age Group, feelin' all tough...and I KNOCKED OVER THE ENTIRE RACK OF BIKES. Nice job, Slick. I was totally "THAT GUY." I started apologizing like crazy and the volunteers (as they were laughing) told me not to worry. Somehow I still won my age group....must have been a small field that day, I can only guess. :)

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?

Hands down, the last two miles of Ironman Wisconsin, right after Alicia and Jacks ran alongside me and my other buddies cheered me on with their layers of sweatshirts and umbrellas in the pouring rain and freezing cold...right after Coach Kara ran by me and said, "Think of all the people you raised money for! You're going to do this, Sara!" For the next two miles, I ran with the biggest stupid grin on my face and felt absolutely no pain. And when I got to the finish line, I laughed and screamed and felt more alive than I ever have.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?

That I'm the luckiest girl on the face of the earth, and I have so much to be thankful for.

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

Race related, that would be Ironman Florida 2008. That's the big 'un. I might be a little busy until then, so I'm going to take it day by day and work towards another Ironman.

I will tag TriShannon, DaisyDuc, TriEric, and TriAl.

9 comments:

Robin said...

I love the story about the bike dominoes, hey someone's gotta do it, right? My daughter did that in my local bike shop once, very embarassing!

And I loved reading about your IM finish - very moving.

Kurt said...

I saw that happen about the bikes when I was part of a Tri Relay. It was to funny but the bike guys were not happy.

Loved the post.

Laurie said...

Robin stole what I was going to say! Except I don't have a daughter who tipped over bikes in a bike shop.

TriShannon said...

Great memories. I still think my favorite race and training was for that first one. We had no clue! Makes for good laughs now.

Lloyd said...

Awe TST, are you gonna shame me into becoming a Dirrrrrrrty Dawwwwwwwg? A couple of us solers were planning on making trip but that weather...yikes!

The RD, Jim, is a friend of mine and a super ultra and endurance athlete. A couple summers ago, he did a cross-country ironman tri. Lake swim/mountain bike/trail marathon. Whoa. Never knew one existed.

Pharmie said...

Your IM memory is basically mine! I think you stole it from my head :). I love the part about the bikes. Hilarious.

RunBubbaRun said...

A lot of memories that IMWI day.

I think no matter how many IM's we will embark on, I think the 1st one will always be the most memorable.

IMFL in '08, way cool.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

It's great that you're planning on IM Fla 2008. Here's my one piece of unsolicited advice: dress for warmth. Bike shoe toe covers are a must.

Stay tuned...

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

IMFL '08 - Yes!