Thursday, August 24, 2006

All place the over.

Whew.

The first two days of school have been great. But man, am I TIRED. I'm not exactly one of those teachers who can sit at my desk and teach. I'm kind of all over the room. My feet hurt. Ugh. I'm gonna have to wear better shoes or something......

So far the kids are awesome and I'm loving it. I'm thinking of all these new things I can do and ways I want to teach this and that...man, if only I had more time....and LESS proficiency tests....sigh. :)

BUT, as promised, I totally didn't sleep the night before. Ugh. 3.5 hours AT BEST.

Got up to run at 5:30 and was supposed to do an hour with 3-3 minute pickups to Zone 3. Well, I got 5 miles in and wasn't able to run a full hour. Oh well. I had to get goin', plus my good friend Sammy is here randomly for a few nights on business, so I was wanting to get back to see her before she left at 7am. My pickups were good though, and I averaged around 8:10 miles for them. Yahoo!

Taught all day and then was supposed to swim 4000 yards before Sammy, Matt and I went to dinner.

And that's when I CRASHED. HARD CORE. I was dehydrated, tired, and didn't eat much, and I bonked. Only could get out about 2500 before I threw the towel in and called it a day. Tomorrow I have 4600 yards so hopefully I will redeem myself.

So, I'm trying to freaking slow down, sleep, hydrate, and eat good stuff. It's been rough, but I'm glad I have something busy to keep my mind off this taper thing and also from freaking out about the race.

On deck this weekend, I'm meeting with the Northeast Ohio IM MOO peeps, like TriAl, on Friday night, then a 4 hour ride in ZONE 1 for hours 1-3 on Saturday! Zone 1?! What's THAT? Sunday, probably an hour and a half ride, and then Iron Johnny and I are meeting with our coach to go over IM and our race plan. Hard to believe...

On a funny note, yesterday for an ice-breaker, I had my kids play two truths and a lie. You have two statements that are true and one that is false, and you have to guess which one is false. So, I used myself as an example and said this:

1. I love skydiving and have been 2 times.
2. One of my guilty pleasures are White Castle cheeseburgers.
3. In 17 days I'm going to do an Ironman Triathlon.

The ones that had me last year knew it wasn't #3, but a lot of the others guessed that one was the lie. :) hee hee I'm sneaky. Then, they asked what it was, and some about fell over when I told them. So I think I've got a little street cred. Now I'd better not screw it up.

By the way, #1 is the lie. I'm deathly afraid of falling.

Mmmmm. White Castle.

19 comments:

Eric said...

Deep breath........slowly release the breath.......calming down now......sleep good......relaxing good......freaking out bad.

Get that rest in girl. If you don't feel like swimming, biking, running because you are tired then DON'T. It will not help you but it could hurt you. Rest, sleep, eat. I know you can do that.

Wait until you come back to school and show everyone your Ironman medal. Gotta show the kids some bling.

:) said...

I wish I would have had teachers like you when I was in school....

Rae said...

I bet you would be a very fun teacher!!

Have a great weekend!

Kurt said...

Your a great teacher.

No way I would jump out of a plane either.

You will rock at your tri for sure.

E-Speed said...

you crack me up girl! White Castle, wow. Did you see Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, it was freaking awesome!

Papa Louie said...

Hopefully, you are able to redeem yourself with the swim.
Maybe with more rest and proper nutrition you'll do fine.
I'd love to come bike with you but I am not in 4 hour shape. Maybe next year.
Have a great school year!

Wes said...

That's a very very wise technique you utilized there. I am amazed in its simplicity and can imagine what it will do for you for the year. Seems like I have the same sleep problem as you, but I tend to repeat it every Sunday night :-) Maybe that's insomnia?? LOL.

JeffM said...

I can imagine the stories the kids are telling about you. Met a young guy tonight at a time trial that is doing the Wisconsin Ironman as his first one.

RunBubbaRun said...

I went skydiving when I was 30 and doing my 1st IM when I'm 40, so just do the stuff in revrse order. You only have to take a 15 minute class to learn how to fall out of a plan. :).

Kim said...

when we meet (and we will) we will buy sackfulls of WC treats! YUM YUM!!!

Chris said...

Ack. I'm not sure I can sit on my bike in zone 1 and still pedal. I feel like I'm getting more of a workout on the couch doing bicep curls with the remote control.

I'm glad that you're liking your first couple days of school. Have a great weekend! :)

Michele said...

Yummy, White Castle!!!
You sound like a super cool teacher, hope my kids are lucky enough to have some teachers like you.

qcmier said...

Quick, where's the closest White Castle???

Growing up around the Akron area, I am still addicted to Swenson's Drive ins.

greyhound said...

Water? Good. Sleep? Good. White Castle? No comment.

I would totally have loved your classes and I'm so glad there are teachers like you.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

The three things I miss most about living in Ohio: Buckeye Football, White Castle and Skyline Chili, No wonder I dropped a ton of pounds when I left the Midwest!

Brooke said...

I need to try White Castle. My hubby swears they are the best. I've never had one.

Triteacher said...

Nope, we're not in school yet, but you're making me look forward to it instead of begrudging it the time I could be spending training for/obsessing about IM.

Keep enjoying those kids - and your cache!

tri-mama said...

Hyphen Girl read this post first and laughed. I think she liked reading a first day from a teacher's perspective-we start the day after Labor Day-we'll be adding you to our prayers these last few weeks leading up to your race-I'm nervous and psyched and excited for you guys. Have a great couple of weeks.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I wish I'd had a teacher like you! That's such a cool ice-breaker.