Monday, January 02, 2012

Polar Plunge, 2012

Happy New Year!

I rang in the new year in my flannel pj's watching sorry excuses for talent on various cable channels.  I know, right?  I am JUST THAT EXCITING!

New Year's Day I woke up and headed to Puma Yoga to try a Vinyasa Flow class with an awesome instructor, Rachele.  I go to Rachele's Tuesday Relaxing Flow and Meditation class quite a bit and love it. I thought I'd mix it up and start off the New Year with something different.  I knew it would obviously move a bit faster, but WHOA!  Chair!  Chaturanga!  Eagle! Sun salutations! Crow! Headstand! Warrior!  AGGGHHHH  It was seriously a great workout and I'm SORE now from all those difficult poses.  I will definitely have to hit that class again--it was a great way to start out the day with a good sweat.

Then, I headed straight to the beach for our Cleveland Triathlon Club Polar Plunge.  Boo-yah!

It was a BALMY 48 degrees, and man, did we luck out because today a huge cold front and snow came through.  I decided that I was going to HTFU and go all the way under this year!  I mean, the Mayans said the world will end in December so I may not have another chance to do it, right?  Gotta live it up while I can! (Ha!)



That's my buddy, TriEric, holding up the blowhorn as we all head in!

Tri friends Susan, Lori, Jen and I

It looks like I'm deep in thought here..."Why do I do this every year?"

Now it looks like Jen and I are really questioning our sanity

There were TONS of my tri-buddies and it was super fun.  And yes, I did go all the way under.  And then I yelled some bad words, but it was out in the Lake so I doubt the cameras picked it up. Sorry kids.
Those are my arms behind that dude

Freezing my you-know-what-off

Jen and I did dolphin dives and lived to tell the tale!

Apparently I was on the news on two different channels, but all I found was this one!  I give Jen a high-five and TriEric makes a cameo at the end with his blowhorn. Plus, you can see newlyweds Kim and Tim who got married New Year's Eve.  Now THAT'S Polar Plunge dedication!

And I even got to meet Trail Boy!  Big shout-out to him.  Always fun to meet other bloggers!

Both of my kids TOTALLY wanted to go in and were NOT happy when I told them "No, honey, 36 degrees is not really toddler-appropriate..."

He wasn't havin' ANY of that

Now Bean is really ticked off we won't let her in, too

But happy again!

And now mad

Really, REALLY MAD.

But other than that we were all smiles!  Bug put his hand in the water and felt how cold it was, so that helped. As always, a fun way to ring in the New Year with lots of friends.

In other news, I have a trail race in less than two weeks and have yet to run on trails.  Oh boy.  Are we in for it or what?!  Ana and I decided we're calling it a "training run" and are not to utter the words "race" anymore, since we will be completely and totally winging it on all levels.  But regardless, it will be supercrazyfun.


Happy New Year to you!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is just INSANE...but I would have been right there with the rest of you if I was still near Cleveland!

Great way to begin the year!

TriEric said...

Regis has become a training run for me also. Running into Lake Erie was a training run for me.

Karen said...

That is hilarious your kids were upset they couldn't go in - they have no idea how miserable it would be in that water! They can thank you later :)

Christi said...

You are my new hero for the doing that polar plunge!

Carolina John said...

holy cow that looks cold! You people are crazy.

Beth said...

That looks totally insane and lots of fun. Happy new year!

Janet Edwards said...

Cleveland Polar Plunge Rocks!! I love how cute your family looks down on the beach! I love all these random crazy outings we still get to do together!