Wednesday, August 05, 2009

This Time Around...

So, I'm finally starting to feel better (yay!) and I'm hoping a few things are different this time.

Namely, I don't gain a small country's worth of weight.

Here's the deal.

I totally wasn't going to even pay attention to my weight this time, because last time no matter WHAT. I. DID. I just gained and gained and gained. Ran through my 7th month. Swam a mile 4 times a week. Ate mostly good stuff. It didn't seem to matter. Then I lost it all, and five more, and a dress size. So I had totally made peace with the fact that my weight might just be what it is.

Then I met with my doc.

To spare you the gory details, it seems that I had some stuff happen in my delivery of Jackson that I wasn't even fully aware of. (And that's probably a good thing, in this case) He was SO BIG. And your chances of having a baby that's bigger the second time are high. Which means if all goes the same, I'm looking at having a minimum 10 pound baby.

To which, she said, if that's the case...she'll strongly recommend a C-section.

Say huh?

No. NONONONONONONO I do not want a C-section if at all possible. Partly because I like to keep things as natural as possible, partly because I am a petrified freak who can barely give blood without passing out so how on earth am I ever going to have my insides taken out and sewn back in?!, and partly because of the recovery time.

And I'm just scared of it. That's mostly it.

So, I asked what I needed to do to avoid this. I know there is a great deal out of my control. But she did say that the one--the only thing, really--in my control is to watch my weight. Now, she could have been blowing smoke up my bum here, but she claims that for some women, there's a hormone in the placenta that makes it virtually impossible for carbs to be changed into energy. It just turns straight into fat.

Which is awesome. Because for the past 6 weeks or so, all I could get down were starchy carbs. And then I'd sleep for 2 hours.

But that does make some sense...because I swear I did everything "right" last time and still gained 55 freaking pounds. So, I decided to give it a shot. The only thing in my control here is to eat as healthy as I can. That's it. It still might not work, and I accept that.

But it's worth a shot.

So I've been logging what I'm eating at babyfit.com, which is a great site full of good stuff. And, I've had enough energy to get back into workouts this week, which is awesome. I feel a little bit more like myself every day. And the great part about doing squats and lunges is that I don't even need to hold extra weights! Because I already am holding the extra weight in my stomach! And butt! And hips! BRIGHT SIDE, people!

All kidding aside, I'm able to run about 3 miles (slowly), eat things that aren't just carbs (yay!), and my arms and legs are sore from some strength exercises. Almost like a regular workout day!

But you know what? This time I am definitely trying to enjoy the ride a bit more. Watching the little bean dancing around in there today at my ultrasound makes everything better. And when all is said and done, as long as that bean comes out healthy--even if it means out of my nostril--then that's what matters.

But I'm still gonna try to do it my way.

12 comments:

Ms. Caddywumpus said...

If it's any consolation a friend of mine had three babies and each got smaller and lighter - her first was nearly nine pounds, her last was just over 6.5 pounds...

Stay well and active and enjoy every moment of this pregnancy!

Mike said...

Best of luck with everything! It'll be exciting! (Well....this comment is coming from a guy! lol)

Carolina John said...

we had both kids by c-section, and kelley thinks it's by far the best way to go. no labor pains, everything is smooth. yea there's a scar and longer recovery time, but that's not a big deal.

you might want to check out jillian michael's new diet book. it talks a lot about controling hormones, and should be right up your alley.

Trisaratops said...

Ms. Caddywumpus--I heart you! Thanks! :)

CJ--ouch man. Controlling my hormones right now isn't in the cards...just going to eat as healthy as I can and work out to make this baby healthy. Glad to hear the c-section isn't as scary as I think, though!

Jen said...

Sara-- I'm of the camp that as long as you eat as healthy as you can, your body will gain what it needs to make a healthy baby. I gained 50lbs with both pregnancies. The first I was forbidden to exercise b/c of complications, the second I stressed non stop about exercising and eating right...it made no difference! I tell myself that my body obviously needed to gain 50lbs as insane as that sounds.

My personal experience on size of baby #2. Let's just say Lauryl was 9lbs10oz...

They did a c-section entry for my back surgery and it was nowhere near as bad as I had worked it up to be in my mind! Everyone that I talk to that has had both deliveries would choose c-section in a heartbeat.

jbmmommy said...

I've had three very different pregnancies. One I was overweight, out-of-shape and didn't care. Next time I was active, but still overweight to start, but ate and exercised well. Third time around I was normal weight, exercised and ate well. Weight gain- exactly the same each time. Your body might just do what it's going to do. My kids were 7lb12, 9lb5 and 8lb4 in order. I wish you all the best that things go as close to your plan as possible, but you're expert now on knowing that sometimes things work out in the end even if it's not according to plan. (Hope this didn't sound preachy, just support intended)

Trisaratops said...

Thanks guys--this is all good advice! I know that flexibility is key here...so I'm trying to just focus on being healthy as much as possible. My c-section friends are all calming me down, which is good. It would help if I didn't pass out anytime I had to get blood drawn, you know? :)

Michelle Simmons said...

Clearly it's been TOO LONG since I've visited your blog b/c I missed the announcement... but CONGRATS!! :)

KC said...

gosh, i've had two c-sections and i would DO ANYTHING to avoid them! in fact, i went to the ends of the earth to avoid the second one, but it wasn't in the cards.

am i fine now? sure. are the kids gorgeous? absolutely.

but major abdominal surgery?? not something to just volunteer for, imo.

good luck, sara!

Fe-lady said...

I had a c-section and was back on my bike in less than three weeks...
with your fitness level I doubt the "longer recovery time" will apply to you.
Best of luck!

Michelle said...

Have been reading for a while, but never commented, but I have to tell you that my first was born a week overdue and weighed 9 lbs 11 oz, but my second was born 6 weeks early and weighed a teeny tiny 5 pounds, so don't let the docs scare you too much - these babies can be so darn unpredictable : )

Congrats, and hope you continue feeling well!!!!

The Salty One said...

Sara--

I had a rough delivery with peanut. I totally understand that yucko stuff can happen and that we'd like to avoid it if possible. But, I cannot believe your doctor is talking c-section for size already. That's not a good sign that you're going to get the birth you hope for. I don't want to preach or overstep because I definitely in the camp of people who believe birth these days is way over medicalized (hmmm. I don't think that's a word, but hopefully the concept makes sense!) C-sections are WAY over prescribed these days. It is VERY rare that we bake a baby that we cannot deliver. If Jackson came out baby number two will almost certainly too! The second, even if bigger, is almost always an easier delivery than the first. My best friend just delivered her second, a 10#8oz baby unmedicated. Yeah--no epi! She's my hero!

If it is important to you to have a vaginal (yeah, I said it) delivery I highly recommend you consider a doula--a labor assistant. I had a doula and I am SURE it helped me avoid a c-section and I was with a midwife's practice! She helped me cope with labor and then when things weren't going as expected or planned, she helped us understand our options and make the right plan B, C and D.

Sometimes c-sections are necessary, but often when the doctor wants one it isn't necessary but elective. If having a vaginal delivery is important to you you should know when the section is not necessary, but being pitched out of convenience or any reason other than absolute medical necessity and you should have the ability to say no. It is YOUR birth, body and baby

Also perhaps even consider finding a doctor more supportive of your view that a vaginal delivery is ideal. Many many doctors these days rush to the c-section because it's easier for them: can schedule it, more predictable, assumed to be insurance against a malpractice suit, etc.

I am totally of the school that you should let yiur body do what it's meant to do. If your body and baby need 55 more lbs go for it without guilt! If you stay fit and strong and healthy I can;t imagine you're going to make your pregnancy riskier because you gain a few more lbs than "ideal." Doctor's go by stats and yeah, MOST people that gain 55 lbs aren't athletes. If you're already out of shape gaining too much is going to complicate things.

Sorry to go on and on. If you want to discuss more or just vent ( I went through similar stuff) feel free to get in touch: thesaltyone at gmail dot com