Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring Break Fresh Start Go

Okay, so I wallowed for maybe an extra day or two.  In snow. 

But I'm ready now.  I feel at peace with my decision to stop at the half in Athens, and I am excited to get back on the horse and make this thing happen.

It's fitting, really, that I'll make this happen in Cleveland.  12 years ago and 35 pounds heavier, I finished my first marathon in Cleveland in five hours and fourteen minutes.  They even changed the course this year to be more like that old course, and it is all on the west side.  Miles 13-19 are in the city that I teach in.  The turnaround is about 2 miles from my house. 

In short, imma gonna have support and friendly faces ALL up on that course. 

So I'm ready.  I'm not really sure how to connect the dots from a botched attempt at a race where I was very tapered to May 18th, but that's why I have Coach do the leg work for me. 

And you know what? The sun is out.  It's getting warmer.  I'm heading to Chattanooga Wednesday for our annual Evotri Training Camp and it's gonna be hot and hilly, so I can get in a good 16 miles of heat and hills and trails. 

It may be hot in Cleveland, and I'm going to have to deal with that as it comes.  But, as my friend Katie said to me yesterday, "There was 100% chance it was too hot in Athens at mile 13."  Indeed.  So I'm going to have to roll the dice and hope and pray that it's not that hot in Cleveland on May 18th.  But if it is, I'm going to do whatever I can to acclimate and be ready. 

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.  And Betty White is just so awesome.
I'll be a hell of a lot more ready than I was on April 13th, anyway.  Our CLE schizophrenic April weather is in full swing, but today will be 75, so when these days come, I'm just going to have to get out there and run in it.

It is worth mentioning that my legs were trashed after last Sunday's race. Those 13.1 were no joke and took quite a bit out of me.  I ran the half in somewhere around 1:46 (not counting two stops) which would be a PR for me.  Um, yay? 

Anyway, the heat left me very sore and dehydrated.  But I feel like myself again today after my run, and I'm ready to hit this hard and make it happen.

This jam has been pumping me up this week.  Enjoy.
Oh, and hang on for the ride--this will be an interesting journey to the next start line.




No comments: