Saturday, September 22, 2012

Off Season

My interims are due on Monday which means, yikes, it's been about a month of school now and I've barely had time to workout post much.  Whew.  Here we are.

I'm hanging in there.

I've been playing a little game on the weekends called "Wriggidy Wreck YoSelf For One Hour" on the bike, which is a sort of sick rendition of "Hour of Power" that we used to play in college minus the red solo cups and plus a bike and a powertap.  Basically, I don't even remotely have time to do any more than a 60 minute ride (boo).  So, I make it count and try to beat my power average on an out-and-back that I have here.  So far, I've beaten it every time and have been kind of riding like a freaking maniac.  Good thing I have a race next week next month not for SEVEN months or so!

Sigh.

But at least I'm having some fun out there, right?

On a random note, since I don't have much time to workout at the moment, I am definitely dreaming big.  My secret plan was to throw my name in the lottery for the Escape from Alcatraz and use it as an excuse to a) have my butt handed to me big time and b) see Coach Emily.  But the America's Cup had to go and be in San Fran next year, so they moved the race up from June to--wait for it--MARCH 2.  You know, because it's always so BALMY AND WARM in MARCH in San Francisco.  Not to mention, impossible for me to get there on a weekend during the school year.

Stupid boats!

(Yes, I'm a little bitter about it.  Sorry if you sail and stuff....but you basically ruined my plans)

So, that's not going to work.  But it hasn't stopped me from thinking about next year.

Guess what I will NOT be doing?

Any kind of running race that's more than a 10K in the spring!  No, really! I'm serious!  It only took me two seasons of injuries to learn this lesson.

I plan on actually acting like a triathlete this off-season and swimming and biking lots and running not as much as I usually do.  Because the amount I usually do gets me HURT.  So perhaps I should try another route, no?

That being said, do you want to guess how many times I've made it to the pool since it closed on Labor Day?  Here's a hint: it's between -57 and 1.

Zero.  I know.  I'm off to a great start, right?

But I firmly believe that everyone needs a good off-season, even if it is a few weeks.  You need to back away and think about other things, which for me means sleep and grading.  No, I kid--I have been doing some other things and it's been pretty good for me.  I've been able to take the kids to the apple orchard, do my Hour of Power rides, try some new strength stuff that I usually blow off, run with no agenda with a few friends, and I even tried stand-up paddleboarding.  One perk of having Lake Erie at the end of my street.  It was super fun and if I had a spare $1,000 I'd buy a board tomorrow morning.  Maybe someday....!

A good off-season leaves you ready to start.  Hungry to start.  I'm not there yet, but I can sense that I'm getting there.

I'll be hitting the ground in June ready to tri this year.  And I plan on doing the Rev3 Cedar Point race and having the half marathon I meant to have last May there in August.

And you know what?

I'm almost--almost--ready to think about trying that full distance at Cedar Point.  The thought stopped repulsing me and started somewhat interesting me.  It's on the radar.  Not anytime soon, so don't get too excited.  But I'm thinking about thinking about it.  It's the only way I'd ever do a full again--there are no more WTC races in my future since planning a year ahead is not possible for me.  Plus, having the course less than an hour away and so family-friendly would work.

SOMEDAY.  Not now.  So don't you dare start trying to talk me into it!

Let's say it's on the three-year plan for now.

(Maybe two)

Here's to dreaming big, sleeping in, and enjoying a short little off-season!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will go in 2014 if you do! (It's been a dream of mine too!) Meet you there fellow Ohioan! :-)