Friday, August 20, 2010

Whoops.

I've done too much.

I sort of knew it when I was getting into it, and I wish I could say this was the first time I've done it, but it's not. It's most definitely not.

I got in over my head. Doing this 70.3 six months after having my second baby, and both of them under 3, was too much. But it's almost done now. Last time I tried a half marathon at about 7 1/2 months afterward, and I enjoyed it a lot. But this time I've felt frazzled, overextended, and like my heart isn't really into it and that I'm letting people down. Some of that's just all in my head, and I know it.

I'm trying to refocus my frustration with myself into some positive energy. That, I think, will be the most important thing I can do from here until race day. My body keeps showing me I'm capable of much more than I think.

Today was my last day to take Bug to the pool, so I did. And I just had so much fun watching him play and playing with him, instead of swimming laps like I probably should have. But I just couldn't do that today.

Got home, put everyone to bed, and hit the treadmill for a little tempo run. Did 15 minutes descending from 8:34 down to 7:47 pace. I felt much better after that.

I think a day at the pool followed by a good, hard (pain-free!) run was some gatorade for the soul.

One day at a time, one foot in front of the other, and, most importantly, learning from my mistakes.

2 comments:

RobbyB said...

This race for me is more about having fun that competition. Because as soon as it stops being fun, it's not worth it to me. Hang in there and we'll have a great time.

Janet Edwards said...

No stress girl...you will be fine! Just have fun with it and the rest of us out on the course!