Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Silhouette Shadows

In the house I grew up in, there used to be these two silhouette cutout pictures of my brother and I in a frame. I don't even know if they're still up there, actually. Just my face, but a paper shadow...you can't really see my expression, but you can see my features.

I remember the first race I ever did...the Cincinnati Race for the Cure, back in 1998. I remember how it was a sunny day, and I was wearing the cotton race tee shirt because I didn't know any better. I remember going there with a group of friends, and wondering if I could really do the whole 3.1 miles. I remember in the middle of the race, looking down, and seeing all the shadows of people around me, bouncing, running, each for a different reason, and each a different shape.

Training for Ironman, I found my silhouette again. Expressionless, strong, and constantly one step ahead of me. I trained and trained and hoped someday I'd catch her.

Today, I ran.

In the bright sunny fall day, past middle school football teams and an elderly couple walking. And my shadow caught my eye again. Still a swishing ponytail; still expressionless and strong. Still one step ahead of me. But this time, there's another shadow.

A stroller, with a little man inside. I heard him giggling, saying "mammamabababadadada" which always brings a smile to my face.

So I took a little mental picture her--my shadow--wondering where she'll go next, if the ponytail will still swish, if that little man will be riding a tricycle next to her. Knowing, all the while, that the expressionless outline will still have strength, will still have grace, will still have hopes and dreams and will still be one step ahead, daring me to catch her.

16 comments:

Chris said...

Your little man and my little gal speak the same language. And I concur about the smile. Mom got to hear her first mama today and she was beaming from ear to ear. :)

Jumper 2.0 said...

I think those silhouette shadows were popular when we were kids (though I'm older than you).

Anyway, I loved this post!

xt4 said...

That was awesome.

Renee said...

Awww...that was so pretty!! I always reading your blog!

filoli said...

I just love your blog! I am laughing to myself because when I take my camera running I too always try to get a shadow shot (only literally)...my new favorite shadow shot is my sister-in-law, me and my nephew in his jog stroller...training for her first 1/2 Marathon

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice post! Great story!

RunBubbaRun said...

NIce post, next year the silhouette will change and the little man will be asking you a bunch questions about what is an "IronMan"

tryathlete said...

Run into the sun - and let your shadow try to keep up with you for a change. :)

triguyjt said...

t-tops great post....

another home run!!!

Jennifer P said...

SO true --

Run for Chocolate said...

What a great role model for your second little shadow!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

New to your blog, I enjoyed your post. I was jogging with our youngest in the stroller tonight. Totally gorgeous weather. Beautiful light.

Best to you in your training,
Sara

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great post, Sarah! I can't wait to see where you go next!

:) said...

You will definitely catch her! :)

Hey, shoot me an email...I have a question for ya!

tri-mama said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

I'm going to sleep with happy thoughts now

Maggs said...

I think what you described would make an awesome picture. I love those silouettes. I have some from when I was younger and think I'll display them.