Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's just like riding a bicycle...

I rode outside today.

For the first time (according to my Garmin, which I'm pretty sure is right) since September 30, 2006.

(Yes, that's a SIX at the end.)

I was pretty nervous. I wondered just how bad I'd be, as, after all, I really really have not worked on my limiter much. Bleh.

So I knew it would be my own stupid fault if I totally snailed it.

Light winds, blue skies, 75 degrees. That makes for a challenging day in the classroom (as the proportion of kids acting up increases exponentially with every degree the temperature rises) but, as it turns out, a perfect day for a ride.

So I started out on my old familiar route. I figured I'd go to my normal turnaround for a total of about 16.5 miles. And then it happened.

I forgot about sucking. I forgot about being slow.

And I had a blast.

The first mile or two I was a little apprehensive, but then it just started to click. I felt like I had never left.

I got home with a big smile on my face. And you know the best part?

I blew my expectations out of the water. I managed to average 18 miles per hour.

EIGHTEEN!

That, for me, is pretty good. Especially considering my year and a half hiatus. The crazy pregnancy-blood-doping theory holds true again! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Watch out, pre-baby TriSaraTops. I have a feeling post-baby TriSaraTops is going to kick your butt.

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Yay! Steelhead here you come!

:-)

Jodi

tri-mama said...

The only time I could bench 100 pounds was when I was pregnant with Chopper- I think it's the growth hormone :-) Back in the saddle again-fantastic!

Heather said...

Wow, 18 mph! Can't touch it! Way to go!

Borsch said...

18.....that might kill me. Great work!

tracie said...

awesome job on the bike lady!!!

SimplyStu said...

I'm amazed how much a great ride, run or swim can do for the spirit! I see the sun and the possibility of 70 in Wisconsin today. Life is good! Way to get back in the saddle.

Sweet said...

HAH!

Post-baby Cara nearly set a 5K PR off a training program that sometimes involves running up to 2 times per week!